The subtle flavour of the smoked salmon is complimented further by the sour cream based tartlet and a simple radish salad.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 to 20 minutes
Serves makes 12 small tartlets
- 2 medium Tuscan Red onions (sliced thin)
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup garlic chives and Italian parsley (chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 160g sour cream
- to taste salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 sheets ready rolled butter shortcrust pastry
- 6 slices HUON cold smoked salmon
MethodHeat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the sliced onions. Cook until golden, stirring quite often, and then add the balsamic vinegar. When rich and glossy remove from the pan and cool. Line a lightly oiled 12 portion muffin tray with 100 mm cut rounds of the butter shortcrust pastry. Bake at 160°C for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, press the bottoms flat and add in the caramelised onions. Combine the sour cream with the eggs and herbs. Season well and pour mixture evenly over the onions. Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden and puffed up a little. Roll the smoked salmon into cylinders, cut each in half and place a portion onto the tartlets.
Serves: 12 (makes 12 tartlets)