Why cook at all?
- Try serving raw Huon salmon sliced, Japanese style. Serve as is for authentic sashimi.
- Place on top or inside vinegared rice to create sushi.
- Low fat alternative
- Quick and easy to prepare and serve
- Whole, filleted or portioned salmon (Huon is sashimi grade)
- sashimi knife
- wooden chopping board
- soy sauce
- pickled ginger (gari)
For sushi only:
- Japanese style rice, medium or short grain, must be glutinous (sticky).
- rice vinegar (If it’s for nori rolls, the rice is dressed with sugar, salt and mirin in addition to the rice vinegar.)
- salmon slicer or filleting knife
- nylon cutting board
- white vinegar
- Start with fresh raw salmon that has been filleted, skinned and cleaned.
- Wash with cold water and pat dry with clean paper towels (don’t rub).
- Slice off and discard any dark portions.
- Slice along the grain in a motion downward and toward you. Avoid sawing.
- Cut into thin, bite-sized slices about 6 to 12 mm thick and 25 to 40 mm long.
- Layer and arrange slices in a pattern on a plate or roll slices into small rosettes.
- Garnish plate with wasabi and gari.
- Serve with a bowl of rice and soy sauce.