Huon Aquaculture is setting a new standard for salmon farming in Tasmania.
Our move to offshore farming will be a step-change for our industry that benefits the environment and all users of our shared waterways.
Our approach to sustainable salmon farming
Between 2014 and 2015 we have completely changed the way we farm
- We replaced every single mooring and pen on every lease, we changed the way we feed our fish and we changed the way our teams on the farm work together.
- We use our well-boat, the Ronja Huon (the first ship of her kind anywhere in the world), to bathe our fish in freshwater and keep them healthy.
- We closed down our shallowest inshore sites and moved our remaining sites into deeper, higher energy areas to reduce our impact on neighbours and improve navigation and safety.
- Our Fortress Pens are a world first that bring together three decades of farming knowledge and the newest technology available.
We will continue to monitor and develop new approaches, and use the best available technology, so we can farm offshore safely.
The six principles that continue to guide our planning are:
1) increasing production responsibly and safely
2) improving the health and welfare of our fish
3) improving safety for our workers
4) reducing our environmental footprint
5) continuing to positively participate in the community
6) producing world-class salmon products in Tasmania.