Huon Aquaculture understands that marine debris may cause potential harm to the environment in which it operates and may impact the enjoyment and safety of other users of the waterway and the community more broadly. It is the responsibility of Huon Aquaculture as a company and as a member of the community to reduce marine debris.
Huon will continue to act on its responsibilities in relation to marine debris
We have a marine debris policy to ensure that we remain focused on reducing our impact on the marine environment and on the enjoyment of that environment by other users of the waterway and the wider community.
The marine debris policy is part of our broader Environmental Management Plan and sits alongside our specific Environmental and Waste Management Plans for each of our farm sites.
Huon also recognises its legal obligation to prevent rubbish from escaping from farm locations and entering the marine environment in accordance with the Pollution of Waters by Oil and Noxious Substances Act 1987 and Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 in Tasmania and variety of federal and international legislation and conventions.
Huon staff regularly patrol and clean beaches throughout the Huon and Channel and Macquarie Harbour and details of each clean up can be found on our Sustainability Dashboard.
Huon will continue to act on its responsibilities in relation to marine debris and we acknowledge that we have more work to do in this area. That’s why we will continue to remain focussed on;
- Actively and continuously reducing marine debris at point source, thus preventing debris from entering the waterway.
- Collecting marine debris regularly with particular focus on post-weather events.
- Collecting marine debris at the request of the community, regardless of source.
- Working cooperatively with industry competitors and other users of the waterway to minimise and manage marine debris.
- Engaging transparently with the community about our policies and practices regarding marine debris.
Please contact us if you would like more information about our marine debris reduction program or to request a debris clean-up.
To report a marine debris sighting call 1300 706 973 and refer to the following Adopt A Shoreline Map