- 4 115g pieces boneless salmon fillet, skinless
- finely-grated zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- Sea-salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 1⁄4 cup aioli
- 1 Tbsp chipotle sauce
- 4 brioche buns, split
- 2 avocadoes, halved and seeded
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1⁄2 cup sliced gherkins
- rainbow vegetable fries in herb salt, to serve
Halve the salmon pieces. Mix the lemon zest, buttermilk and eggs, whisk well, then add
the salmon and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes. Mix the flour and spices in a bowl,
then season generously with salt and pepper.
Dip the salmon in the flour mix. Dip again the buttermilk mixture and again in the flour.
Set aside for 5 minutes. Arrange the bacon in a large non-stick pan over a moderate heat
and cook for 10 minutes, turning often and regularly draining the oil from the pan, until
crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
Mix the aioli and chipotle sauce, then spread on both sides of the brioche buns. Fan the
avocado halve at arrange on the base, then top with lettuce.
Fry the salmon pieces in hot (180°C) vegetable oil for 5 minutes, until crispy, then drain
on kitchen paper. Put on top of the lettuce, then top with bacon and gherkins. Serve with